Wednesday 17 June 2009

We're All Going On A Summer Holiday

First of all, I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who's sent me e-mails, tweets and text messages about the book deal for OLD DOGS :o) I am so unbelieveably thrilled and happy, as well as extremely thankful to the world's best agent Al Guthrie, and to Mr Lovely Publisher for wanting to publish it. When Al gave me the news I told him I wanted to give Mr Publisher a big hug. Apparently, that's not normal. Well, it should be, is all I can say. I'm currently working my way through e-mail and will answer all of them this evening, but for those of you who have asked, here's what the book's about:

OLD DOGS is a crime caper set in Glasgow. It features two septuagenerian ex-hookers turned con artists who decide to steal a pair of golden, jewel-encrusted Shih Tzu dogs from a museum. Unfortunately, they're not the only ones after the dogs, everyone wants to get their hands on the precious artefacts - including the elderly ladies' dodgy chauffeur who wants in on the action, a pair of Glasgow neds who want to buy their own pub, an out of work insomniac bent on revenge, and an innocent young Scottish islander who wants the dogs returned to the Buddhist monastery they came from. Oh, and there's an Australian hitman after the elderly con artists. After hours on a Saturday night turns out to be the museum's busiest time. Burglary, kidnapping, murder and some very bad decisions.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled blog...

A little wrap up before I go away on holiday. There will be posts while I'm away as I've worked out how to do the scheduled posts thing, but I won't be able to respond to comments until I get home. But please do comment and I promise to answer in due course.

Ian Rankin has donated the first four pages of his yet to be published book THE COMPLAINTS to the Samaritans - a charity very close to my own heart. It will be auctioned on 22 June and the winner will also receive a signed first edition when it's published in September. Amongst other items going under the hammer is a handwritten unpublished poem by Alexander McCall Smith.

I've dipped into this book a little so far and it's really good fun - Bob Moore's DON'T CALL ME A CROOK: A SCOTSMAN'S TALE OF WORLD TRAVEL, WHISKY AND CRIME, originally published in 1935. The first sentence is "It is a pity there are getting to be so many places that I can never go back to, but all the same, I do not think it is much fun a man being respectable all his life. "

Scottish publisher Two Ravens Press - a small independent press whose love of books is clear, post a thoughtful and thought-provoking blog post about the future.

I've added a new author to the list of Scottish authors. The lovely people at Hodder and Stoughton sent me a copy of Julie Corbin's TELL ME NO SECRETS which is a psychological thriller set on the east coast of Scotland.

And so to holiday. First of all a note for burglars - don't even think about it - there will be someone here. Ewan and I are off on Thursday morning for 5 days in New York and 5 days in San Francisco. Apart from meeting up with some good friends, some of my highlights are going to be:
Be good.

10 comments:

  1. I've said it on Twitter, but why not say it here too? Huge congratulations!

    gb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still happy-dancing about Old Dogs for you - girly, you rock!!! You guys have a fantastic holiday - I look forward to the tales and the pics! :) Be good! ;p xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again on Old Dogs. It sounds terrific, and I can't wait to read it.

    You will have a blast at Bourbon & Branch, which I visit every time I'm in San Francisco. May I suggest the rye maple fizz if it's on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Sounds cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mega congratulations on Old Dogs. I can't wait to read it!

    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, can't possibly manage good. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old Dogs sounds like a fun and rip-roaring read. Congratulations, Donna. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Won´t you tell them to hurry up! We want to read that!

    I wrote a crime caper myself this week, by the way (very casual bragging, wasn´t it?). My last writing course exercise could hardly be called anything but that: a crime novel in six parts - 500 words in total - and hardly a serious one among them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on OLD DOGS - of course you'd have an aussie hitman - aren't we all crooks down here - convict stock and all that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all for the lovely comments - I'm still on cloud 9 about it!

    Vince - Rye Maple Fizz it will be - all of those components sound superb :-)

    ReplyDelete