Wednesday 11 November 2009

Reviews, Interviews and Bad News

Off out to a gig tonight to see The Enemy so here, hopefully, is an automatically posting...errrr...post.

Frederic Lindsay and Ken McClure visit East Lothian's libraries.

Audio reviews of Ian Rankin and Stuart MacBride, with downloadable audio clips. And, talking of Stuart MacBride, the lovely Russel McLean reviews the SF/crime concoction HALFHEAD and finds it most excellent.

Amongst many other books, PW reviews M C Beaton and Alexander McCall Smith.

An interview with Val McDermid on Women and Hollywood. And one with Sherlock Holmes aficionado and all round top bloke Rafe McGregor on The Tainted Archive.

And finally, he's not Scottish, but he's the inspiration for this blog because of all the great stuff he does on Irish crime fiction, he's a mate, he's an all round top bloke, and he's one of my favourite writers. So I am very saddened to see Declan Burke post this. I understand and respect his decision, and his little daughter is one hell of a lucky girl to have such a great Dad, but I hope that Dec keeps writing fiction - because he's brilliant at it and his books brighten my days. I read his first book EIGHT BALL BOOGIE back when it first came out in 2003 and absolutely loved it. I kept checking for more books by him so it was marvellous to get to know him a few years later and find out that he had a new book coming out. I have multiple copies of THE BIG O, and I've been lucky enough to read both manuscripts he currently has out in the market. He has great talent and his fiction is funny, thrilling, smart and touching with great characters and full of life. All the best Dec, whatever you do, but I'm crossing everything that fiction plays a big part - if not right now, then in the (near) future.

No comments:

Post a Comment